In-person + Virtual
October 24-28
Learn More and Register to Attend

The Sched app allows you to build your schedule but is not a substitute for your event registration. You must be registered for KubeCon + CloudNativeCon North America 2022 to participate in the sessions. If you have not registered but would like to join us, please go to the event registration page to purchase a registration.

Please note: This schedule is automatically displayed in Eastern Daylight Time (UTC -4). To see the schedule in your preferred timezone, please select from the drop-down menu to the right, above "Filter by Date." The schedule is subject to change.
Back To Schedule
Wednesday, October 26 • 3:25pm - 4:00pm
Building Container Images In Kubernetes: It’s Been a Journey! - Laurent Bernaille & Eric Mountain, Datadog

Sign up or log in to save this to your schedule, view media, leave feedback and see who's attending!

Feedback form is now closed.

Almost all of Datadog now runs on Kubernetes, but for a long time we needed dedicated nodes running Docker to build container images. We have recently migrated container image builds to Kubernetes and it's been an interesting journey!

The main challenge to build container images inside Kubernetes is to achieve it without additional privileges. We will explain why we chose buildkit in rootless mode, the architecture we ended up using, as well as the challenges we faced.

Building container images in rootless mode worked flawlessly for over 90% of our images, but for the remaining 10% we encountered complex and interesting issues. We will dive into these problems and explain in detail how rootless builds work and why they sometimes behave differently. We will also explain how we addressed these issues together with the community.

avatar for Laurent Bernaille

Laurent Bernaille

Principal Engineer, Datadog
Laurent Bernaille worked several years as a consultant specializing in cloud, containers, and automation and helped organizations migrate to the public cloud, adopt containers and improve their deployment pipelines. He is now Staff Engineer at Datadog and works in the Compute team... Read More →
avatar for Eric Mountain

Eric Mountain

Senior Software Development Engineer, Datadog
Eric Mountain began working with Kubernetes in 2014 migrating applications built in a custom middleware ecosystem to container and cloud technology. Eric is now a Senior Engineer in Datadog’s Compute team providing large scale Kubernetes to our internal users. Eric enjoys debugging... Read More →

Wednesday October 26, 2022 3:25pm - 4:00pm EDT
250 ABC